Friday, November 28, 2008

What is a deal worth?

I have only done the "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving when people go out for great deals) shopping trip once or twice. I enjoy the crowds and such, but I usually don't have money to spend to make the fight worth it. I have no intention of shopping this weekend.

A couple of days ago, we were talking about crazy people get on "Black Friday". My father-in-law mentioned one year in our town when a fight broke out in front of Target. His comment was, "Nothing in that store would be worth that". Every year there are reports about altercations somewhere in the country. But this year took a new low. At a Wal-Mart on Long Island, a 34 year old temporary stock clerk was "bum rushed" by at least 200 people. 3 minutes after the store was scheduled to open, they pushed through the door "leaving the metal portion of the door looking like an accordion. They knocked down the employee and trampled him to death! In the process, they also knocked down a pregnant woman (who reports indicate is doing well, as is her baby).

What in that store is worth a human life? Is 100 bucks of a TV or a $2 DVD worth that? I wonder what they will say when they get home today? "Sorry son, I didn't that video game you asked for for Christmas. Instead, I helped kill a man."

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Luke 12:34 (NIV)


Nothing, not a single thing in this world, is worth the life of a man.

No comments: