Sunday, April 19, 2009

Exergen Temporal Scanner Review


The Exergen TemporalScanner is a totally non-invasive system with advanced infrared technology providing maximum ease of use with quick, consistently accurate measurements. Advanced, patented technology measures temperatures with a gentle stroke across the forehead.

The TemporalScanner Thermometer has been clinically tested for accuracy compared to rectal thermometers and temperature sensors inserted in the heart during course of patient treatment and accepted for use in major hospitals, making it the ideal thermometer for use with newborns, infants, children or adults.

The TemporalScanner has patented software, providing arterial heat balance. This unique process determines temperature by accurately measuring the balance between the tissues warming from arterial blood and tissues cooling (warming) caused by heat loss (gain) to the environment.

One of the items on the top of my "Things I have to do because I'm a mom, but I wish I didn't have to do" is taking my kids' temperatures. No matter which way I take it, I have pin them down and hold them in uncomfortable positions (for all of us). This week I had the opportunity to review the Exergen TemporalScanner. It is so much easier than any of the other methods! Just a few seconds to slide across the forehead--instant reading! The only problem I had was inconsistent readings, but the website answered that question for me.

Why am I getting inconsistent results?
You should normally be getting reproducible results, or results within a few tenths of a degree of each other. However, a few things to know:

Multiple temperatures taken over the same area in rapid succession will ultimately cool the area causing differences.

If sweating, the temperature on the neck behind the ear lobe becomes the overriding temperature, and since this area is not quite as stable as the temporal artery, it can easily cooled be by the thermometer in taking multiple readings. Remember, the probe of thermometer will be at room temperature, and is about 30 degrees Fahrenheit (17 degrees Celsius) cooler than body temperature.

I'd like to thank Exergen and Extraordinary Mothers for this review opportunity.

No comments: