Thursday, February 02, 2012

Word Scarves

I was looking for a birthday present for my partner at work. We've been a team for most of the 7 1/2 years I've been there.  For the past year and half, we've shared an office. (Prior to that we ALL shared an office!)  Diana shares my faith (and is even a member of my church).  As soon as I saw these word scarves on Pinterest, I knew I had to make one (well...two!) for Diana. 



Steps:
  • Select Scripture passage, quote, lyric, or poem.
  • Gather scarf and fabric pen/s. (I used Elmer's brand that writes on "anything" including fabric).
  • Start writing. Note: This will take awhile! My fabric pin kept catching on the weave.
  • Let the paint dry. Note: Some crafters choose to go over this with a paint brush for a more distinct look. I didn't do this.
  • Heat set the paint. I tried using an iron, but I wasn't sure it was helping.  So I threw the scarves into the dryer for about 5 minutes.  


Scarf #1
I decided to make one with a collection of "one another" passages.  Something like 60 times in the New Testament, the church is told how to treat each other: "love one another"; "bear one another's burdens"; "forgive one another"; "be kind one to another"; etc.  This one was a narrower red scarf. I wrote most of the words in black.  I left a space (which just happened to be exactly the width of the $5 bill that was on the counter!) for the "one another"s which I added with a white pen.

Heather was happy to model for me!

     

Scarf #2
I debated on what to put on this one. I thought about songs (old hymns as well as KLOVE currents were considered); the Serenity Prayer; and scripture passages. I decided on Psalm 91. "He that dwells in the secret place of the Most High, shall abide under the shadow of the almighty".  Even though I usually read the NIV or Message versions, I decided to go with the New King James Version.

This scarf is off white and the text is written in blue. I had room at the end, so I added the benediction blessing from Numbers. ("The LORD bless and keep you...")


This picture is the scarf spread out of the living room sofa.


No comments: