Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I can hear you now!

Three years ago I decided to get my hearing evaluated. I have a family history of hearing loss. My brother has lost most of his hearing in both ears. My Daddy needed hearing aids by about 40, and his Dad was nearly deaf by his mid 30's. About 10 years ago, my brother was diagnosed with "otoscherlosis". Basically one of the bones in the ear calsified and doesn't vibrate any more. Stephen's was diagnosed by an MRI (after a head injury). The only way to confirm otoschrelosis is with a test like an MRI, or by actually doing surgery. My doctor was confortable calling my loss "otoschrelosis" based on family history and pattern of loss.

My loss is equal in both ears, but my insurance would only cover one appliance. Anyway, I've been wearing a hearing aid for about 3 years. Well....some days. Working with kids, I often take it out. Because the noise in daycares it too much for the sensitive hearing aid. (I hear every noise and scream!) A few months ago, I found out about a program through our state DVR (Division of Vocational Rehabilitation) that could help me get a new set of digital ears--with noise reduction to help cancel our very loud things (like screams!).

Today, I picked up my new hearing aids. My old one was concealed inside the ear. My new ones go over the top (and behind my ear) with a tube that goes into my ear canal. It's going to take some getting used to. I've already had to turn my cell phone down. I'm sure my office phone will be WAAAAY too loud too. The TV already seems to be BLARING!

So....here's a picture of my new hearing aid.

I can hear you now!


http://www.audiologyonline.com/management/uploads/news/AZ60_Mini-BTE-Thintube.jpg

1 comment:

JenniferSaake.blogspot.com said...

I had no idea! And I thought I knew you pretty well too. :)