Friday, January 04, 2008

My first project: "hiding" verses about anger

Dr. Smalley said, "Much of my anger came from a deep belief that bad things happening to me are actually bad". He reacted to bad events in anger because they robbed him of pleasure, good times, and good things he thought he deserved.

Ouch. Too close to home. I tend to react in anger way too often--especially with my husband and kids. But I'm going to replace the wrong beliefs with the beliefs from Scripture.

The first verses I'm hiding in my heart:

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. (James 1:19-20)

A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control (Proverbs 29:11)

Do not be easily provoked in your spirit; for anger resides in the lap of fools. (Ecclesiastes 7:9)

**** Yikes! Do I detect a patten here?!?!****

Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret--it leads only to evil. (Psalm 37:8)

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (Proverbs 15:1)

In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. (Ephesians 4:26-27)

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you. (Ephesians 4:30-32)

No comments: