Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Detour Part 3

I was between home visits (or I should say "attempted home visits" since both were no shows!) today and I had another detour. Ironically, it was on the same street, just a few blocks down. The wind had really picked up, and dust was flying everywhere. I passed a house, and saw what appeared to be smoke. With all the wind, I wasn't sure. So I stopped the car and got closer. Between the sidewalk and the street, was a small (about 10' wide by 4' deep) garden area. It was full of the bark chips. As I got closer, I saw that it was, in fact, flames. Nobody answered the door, and I couldn't find anything to use to extinguish the fire. So I called 911. (Love my cell phone!) About the time I ended the call, a couple of neighbors came out because they smelled the smoke. One sent her son to get a bucket. We walked back to the house to look for a hose. After a search we found a house and turned it on. We were able to extinguish the fire before the fire department arrived.

No comments: