Friday, July 10, 2009

Co-Ed Promise Keepers?

Note: If you were listening to KLOVE radio about 6 pm MST on Thursday you may have heard me express my opinion on the subject.

Last night I heard that for Promise Keepers has decided to expand its market to include: wives, mothers, and sisters. Basically women. They aren't changing the format or anything. Just the audience.

I think that is just wrong. I love Promise Keepers. My husband and my Daddy became friends and accountability partners through a PK event. I am pretty sure my Daddy attended at least one PK event a year from the first year until he died. Daddy even went to a PK pastor's event in Atlanta. One year my Daddy, my father-in-law, husband, brother, and brother-in-law all attended together.

That year I went as a volunteer. (I was a floater and was sent wherever they needed me.) We (the women) were not allowed to go into the arena except for the skybox for the prayer team and we could stand on the concourse and look in. It wasn't because of any secret rituals. There were several big screen TVs set up around the grounds. We could watch EVERYTHING that was said and done.

At one point, I went and stood in the concourse during worship. I can tell you I have never seen anything more powerful than an arena full (40,000?) men worshipping God with all their hearts. I don't think that would have happened with wives and mothers there.

I do believe that there is a time and a place (including weekly worship service at a local church) for men and women to worship together. But I think events like Promise Keepers need to remain men only.

No comments: