Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Letting go...little by little

If you follow my blog, you know that my oldest,my first born, my big boy (Chewie) is in middle school (6th grade). Yesterday was his first day (6th grade only). Today, he rode the bus to and from school (big steps for Mama!) This evening, he asked if he could ride his bike to his best friend, J's house. J only lives about 4 or 5 blocks away. The only problem is Sunset: a semi-major road (4 lanes) with no stop signs for easy crossing.

Chewie promised to suit up (helmet, pads, etc). I debated. Daddy wasn't home to ask for his opinion on the matter. So I took a deep breath, told him to call his friend, and made him promise to call when he arrived and before he left to come home. I also talked to J's mom to make sure she knew he was biking over.

About an hour or so later, it was getting dusk, so I called to have him come home. Munchie and I went outside to wait for him. Almost as soon as we got outside, I heard a mother's worst nightmare: sirens---lots of them--coming from Sunset. I brought Munchie inside, found Grandma and told her I didn't think anything was wrong, but I had to go check it out. About halfway there, I saw Chewie---safe and sound. He had seen a very bad accident about a block south of where he turned onto Sunset.

Letting go is so hard....

No comments: