Sunday, August 17, 2008

Letting go

My oldest son is 10. I know I need to start letting go. Next year Chewie will be in middle school. We have to start giving him opportunities to stretch his wings. For the first 5 years of schooling, he was always picked up and dropped off at school. Last week that changed. On Thursday, Chewie and his best friend walked home from school alone. (Without their knowledge, Grandpa followed them home in the car!) Then on Saturday, Chewie asked if he could ride his bike in our neighborhood alone. I let him. (I did go hang out in the front yard.) It's hard to let go.

But I'm learning to let go of other things too. 12 years ago, out of my grief, I began an AOL based infertility support group (Ladies in Waiting) that grew to include over 2000 women from more than a dozen countries. About 5 years ago, Ladies in Waiting merged with Hannah's Prayer. After a couple of years on the Board of Directors, I stepped down, but remained in leadership. My "baby" has grown up over the years. There have been a series of Directors over the years. While I have not been in an active leadership role for a long time, I've remained on the team. I know it's time to step out of the picture completely. It's time to let my "baby" go.

God is opening new doors for me. I am teaching a class at church this fall. I'm trying to get the women's ministry revitalized. My husband and I are working in the Marriage Mentoring Ministry. I've been accepted into a local leadership training program in my city. It's time to step away from the computer, and step into my life. I'll still be blogging, but I won't be spending so much time on-line.


2 comments:

Jessie said...

God's blessings be upon Julie! It really is exciting to step away from the computer and watch what God does, though a little scary at the same time. Looking forward to following this leg of your journey!

JenniferSaake.blogspot.com said...

{{{hugs}}}