Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My One Word: Patience

I've never been a big one to make New Year's resolutions. Yes! Every new year I make plans to lose weight, read my Bible more, and be an overall nicer person.but the idea of a New Year's resolution has the bad reputation as being a temporary goal. A couple of years ago I heard about the concept of "my one word" (myoneword.org). The idea is to choose a single word to be your focus for the year. Words like: content, peacemaker, and intentional were selected.

This year, I am embracing my one word: patience. One would think I had learned all I needed to learn about patience during the many years of waiting for a baby to join our family. But, alas, I have much to learn.

Patience kind of covers many of my previous goals:

  • I want to lose weight and get in shape. This will require much patience because I didn't gain it in a day and I won't lose it in a day. I will need to continue being patient when changes are not happening fast enough.
  • I want to bring my anger under control. Of course this is all about patience. Being patient with others. Being patient with myself. Allowing all of us to be human. And when things don't go as planned--get over it!
  • I want to be a better wife and Mom. Again, patience is the key. Allowing my children to grow and develop without wishing them out of their current age/stage. Supporting my husband as the head of our home without rushing in to do things the "right" way.
  • I want to be a disciplined woman of faith. I have to learn to patiently take small steps. It is all about the relationship I'm cultivating--not a race I'm running. I need to slow down and wait for God to speak instead of impatiently moving on to the next thing on my agenda.
  • I want to learn to cook. This is going to take time, as well as trial and error. Not every dish I make will be well received (or even edible!) I need to hang on and not give up. And try, try again.


Every now and then I'll make a post about MOW. My One Word: Patience. Stay tuned and join me on this journey. What is your one word for 2012?

Note: I've been planning this post in my head for several days. Tonight I typed it on my iPad while exercising my patience. Sitting in the ER (for the second time in 4 days) with what we believe is a bad gal bladder (hubby's). I'm finding it quite difficult to maintain my cool after more than 6 hours and we still haven't been called back. I'm tired--very tired.


Sent from my iPad

No comments: